Sad description of humanity is, they choose or prefer darkness than light. “And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.” (John 3:19) Light is the judgement on human nature inclined towards sin.
1) Hide: When we remove rocks in the garden, small insects and reptiles run away, unable to face light. In similar way, humans, hide in darkness rather to be exposed in light. (John 1:5; 8:12)
2) Familiar: Eyes have capacity to adapt to certain range of brightness. Too much intensity will make eyes closed. Continuously exposed to dim light or darkness also will make the eyes lose capacity. Thus, eyes are familiar in darkness.
3) Comfortable: As they have lived without seeing light, they lose hope and conclude ‘darkness’ as their ultimate fate and start feeling comfortable in that.
4) Dependent: There was a rusted pipe joint leaking few drops. Plumber examined it and said, the pipe cannot be repaired as the joint was connected to geyser/water heater. If the rusted pipe is replaced, the geyser would also break. The geyser had become dependent on rusted pipe. If it is repaired or replaced, the geyser itself will break. People who live in darkness have become dependent and cannot live apart from that.
5) Wickedness: John writes that the wickedness of people had made them spiritually dark. As they love wickedness, they love darkness.
Gravity pulls everything towards earth, sin pulls all people to fall. Darkness of sin, is like ‘black hole’ that swallows up everything. Only the Saviour Lord Jesus Christ can deliver us from this deadly trap.
Have I been lifted by Lord Jesus from the miry clay?
WhatsApp: +91 9444027221