Cross is used in ornaments: rings, earrings, pendants…etc. They are beautiful, shining and attractive. There are huge crosses erected over steeples of churches through out the world. This is to give an indication that this building is a Church, where people gather to worship Lord Jesus Christ. In general, cross is considered as a sign or symbol or emblem of Christian faith.
1) Symbol of forgiveness: Death penalty by nailing to the cross was the Roman system of capital punishment. And Jesus tried under Roman law was awarded death penalty through cross. Bible emphatically teaches us that the death of Jesus Christ was vicarious. He died on behalf of sinners. Cross which is a symbol of punishment is transformed in the symbol of forgiveness and reconciliation. (Colossians 3:13,14)
2) Symbol of glory: The cross was a place where a person had to endure immense physical pain and mental agony. Lore Jesus tortured, dehydrated was thirsty. The weight of the body was tearing his flesh apart. The taunts of the Pharisees and Sadducee’s were giving him mental and spiritual agony. Above all the wrath of God, punishment for sin of the whole world was upon him. His resurrection gave him a name that every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess. (Philippians 2:9-11)
3) Symbol of Kingdom: One of the thieves hanging on the right side of Lord Jesus pleaded to be accepted in His Kingdom and got a place. (Luke 23:42) Christ the king deprived Himself of all to make us Kings and Priests in His Kingdom.
4) Symbol of victory: Lord triumphed over Satan and his evil empire. “And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.” (Col 2:15).
5) Symbol of life: The death on the cross was not the end. It was not a history of another personality who’s life ended with the tomb. It was with death he defeated death and made a new living way for His followers. (Hebrews 10: 19,20)
Do I know the significance of the cross?