King David wrote: “In God’s presence there is fullness of joy.” (Psalms 16:11) Moses pleaded that God’s presence should accompany them in their journey. (Exodus 33:15) Lord Jesus Christ is called Immanuel, God with us. (Matthew 1:23) In God’s presence His people could do many things.
1) Seek: David writes that he will seek His face, to gaze at His beauty or splendour that is displayed in Holiness. (Psalms 27:4)
2) Shout: People of God could shout in his presence celebrating victory. (Psalms 100:1) Joyful noise is made in God’s presence. As the priests sounded the trumpets, people shouted, and the wall of Jericho fell. (Joshua 6:20)
3) Sing: In God’s presence, people of God worship singing and praising the Lord. “Glad songs of salvation are in the tents of the righteous.” (Psalms 118: 15) Christian faith is a joyful, celebrating and glad faith. The largest book in the Bible is Psalms, which occupies the central portion of the Bible. Music is used in the Old Testament and in the New Testament to sing unto the Lord.
4) Silent: When the Lord speaks, we must be silent before God. (Psalms 62:5; Habakkuk 2:20) Mary sat in silence in God’s presence listening to the Words of the Lord Jesus Christ. (Luke 10:39) God rebuked Peter to listen to His Son Lord Jesus Christ in the Mount of Transfiguration. (Mark 9:7) Be still to know the Lord God. (Psalms 46:10)
5) Sorrow poured out: Joshua fell face down and expressed his sorrow over the defeat of Israel in Ai. (Joshua 7: 6-8) We can unload our burden upon Him. (I Peter 5:7)
6) Sleep: God gives His beloved sleep. (Psalms 127:2) It is always good to go to sleep each night praying, worshipping and glorifying God for His love and grace.
7) Surrender: His presence is a place of self-surrender; where we place our ambitions and aspirations. We are called to surrender ourselves as voluntary living sacrifices. (Romans 12:1)
Enjoying the presence of God at all times is a real faith adventure.
Do I have the spiritual discipline to always enjoy God’s presence?