Those who deliver goods for online purchase are sometimes notorious. They persistently knock at the door. When we open, it could be a wrong person knocking at the wrong door. There could be gentle knocks like whisper, an important friend, or guest, but do not bang on the door. If we are not alert, we miss such visits.
“Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:20) The knock could be applied to an individual sinner or saint or to the Local church.
1) Dignity (Courteous): God is always courteous to all humans. He treats them with dignity. Free Will has been granted to each individual and must make their choice. The Lord will not force himself and enter our life.
2) Knock: The act of knocking is done by one who is familiar. Lord knows who is His own. (II Timothy 2:19) Knocking could be an act of call, discipline or judgement on individuals or local churches. Nevertheless, there are people who knock on our doors and could annoy us. But the Lord’s knock is for our good. All believers are expected to be dressed for action and keep their lamps burning, waiting for the Master to return from the wedding feast ready to open the door when he knocks. (Luke 12:35-40)
3) Listens: One who knocks always expects those behind the door to be alert. They have to be dressed up for action or gird their loins or put on their worker’s apparel or uniform. The bride failed to open immediately when he knocked, beloved had gone. (Song of Solomon 5:2-6)
4) Respond: Those inside should respond, spontaneously, joyfully and positively.
5) Communion: Lord promises to come in, eat with him that shows a joyful communion. “Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them.” (Luke 12:37)
Have I dressed up for action when there is a knock?