This is Daniel’s short psalm or poetry, that he sings when God revealed the dream of Nebuchadnezzar and its interpretation. (Daniel 2: 20-23) Daniel could understand God who is dynamic and active in history.
1) He changes times: The Preacher writes: there is time to be born, die, plant, pluck, kill, heal, break down, build up, weep, laugh, mourn, dance, cast away stones, gather stones, embrace, refrain from embracing, seek, lose, keep, cast away, tear, sew, keep silence, speak, love, hate, war and peace. (Ecclesiastes 3:2-8)
2) He changes seasons: In the world there are not just climatic seasons, but others connected to social life. There are seasons of joy, peace, and prosperity. There are seasons of war, devastation, destruction, and chaos. The Nation of Israel enjoyed peace when people obeyed the Law and were judged when they rejected Lord and His Law.
3) He removes kings: God as righteous judge removes kings and deprives nations of their power as he did to Egypt who ruthlessly oppressed the children of Israel for four hundred years.
4) He sets up kings: It is the Sovereign God who appoints rulers in authority. Even evil kings cannot do anything unless they are granted power. Lord Jesus reminded Pontius Pilate he was powerless unless authority was bestowed upon him from God in Heaven. (John 19:11)
5) He gives wisdom and knowledge: God grants wisdom and knowledge to his people who seek understanding. Joseph got wisdom from God to interpret dreams. (Genesis 41:16)
6) He reveals: God is pleased to reveal himself to humanity. God has revealed Himself through creation, His Law and His Son Lord Jesus Christ. There are deep and hidden things, he unveils according to His purpose.
7) He knows: God knows what is in darkness, which is wickedness and brings to light. He judges all wickedness, the expression of darkness. God knows what is in humans, in their secret dark parts of their soul; he evaluates his motives and his heart intentions. (John 2:25; Proverbs 16:2; 21:2)
Should I not sing with Daniel the Great God?