“And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.” (Isaiah 11:2)
1) The Spirit of the Lord: The Spirit of the Lord is the third person of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit is Lord, co-equal with Father, Son.
2) The Spirit of wisdom: The Holy Spirit rests on the Messiah as the Spirit of Wisdom. The eternal perspective of God is wisdom. Paul declares Lord Jesus is the Wisdom of God. (I Corinthians 1:30) When none in Babylon could tell and interpret the dream of Nebuchadnezzar, Daniel who got the wisdom through the Spirit of God to reveal the dream and interpret it. (Daniel 2)
3) The Spirit of understanding: Lord Jesus Christ was empowered by the Holy Spirit. He was sympathetic or empathised with those who are with humans and intercedes as Eternal High Priest. (Hebrews 4:15-16) The Hebrew word used of understanding means sharp sense of smell. The Lord can smell a sweet-smelling offering and also discern hypocrite’s, who use scent to cover their filthiness.
4) The Spirit of counsel: Counsel is wisdom or knowledge applied in each context. With wisdom and understanding the Spirit gives Perfect counsel. He is a wonderful counsellor. (Isaiah 28:29)
5) The Spirit of might: Might means strength, power, force, courage, ability, great and dynamic. The Spirit of God has power and authority to do all things. Some people have good intentions to do good and even promise but are powerless to do.
6) The Spirit of knowledge: The Holy Spirit knows all facts, intentions, and motivations, hence decides all things perfectly. The knowledge about the future is also included in this. The Spirit of God provides knowledge to people in the form of abilities and skills.
7) The Spirit of the fear of the Lord: The Spirit of God provides ‘fear of the Lord’ to His children to receive knowledge and hate sin. They will turn away from evil. (Job 28:28)
Do I know the Spirit of God?