On 20 December 2021 one submarine volcano erupted in Tonga in the South Pacific Ocean. After four weeks the result was a tsunami that affected many islands. Both volcanic effects of ashes all over including runways and tsunami that washed away many homes. Sometimes, human fury is like this bringing devastation.
Lord Jesus Christ healed a man with a shrivelled hand who was in the synagogue in Nazareth. However, the religious leaders were furious that their culture of rest without purpose was violated. “But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law were furious and began to discuss with one another what they might do to Jesus.” (Luke 6:11)
1) No fury: They were not furious when the shrivelled man could not work. Their fury could have invented some way to help the disabled person. People who are supposed to furious that people are poor, oppressed, hungry, hopeless, harassed, hated, put in jail without charges, reduced to slavery…etc.
2) Irrational fury: Instead of finding ways and means to help the poor, disabled man they were finding ways to accuse Lord Jesus who helped the disabled. Instead of channelizing their energy to help the victim, they wanted to victimise the person who helped the hapless victim.
3) Misdirected fury: Instead of being furious against the root cause of his disability, they were furious with the Lord who helped the victim. Christian missions help downtrodden, orphans, fatherless, destitute, poor, dying; but there are powerful people who attack them on fake charges.
4) Irreligious fury: First true religion is based on mercy, as mercy precedes sacrifice. (Hosea 6:6) Loving others is more important than performing religious rituals. (Isaiah 58:1-9) God does not despise true sacrifices that are broken spirit and contrite heart. (Psalms 51:17)
5) Murderous fury: In the earlier occasion when Lord read the passage from Isaiah, they wanted to push Him off a cliff. (Luke 4: 29,30) Sadly, such fury becomes violence against innocent, righteous, good and loving people.
Do I use discontent, anger, and frustrations for good purpose?