There are many who ask: How can we know Lord Jesus Christ as the true Lord and Saviour? Even in the first century this doubt lingered in the minds of those who saw Him, received miracle from Him and the religious authorities of Jews. John as the gospel writer, writes his testimony narrating his experiences and points us to Lord, the Saviour. To make such grand statement and message to the world, he provides five testimonies that helped him to know Him.
1) Lord’s testimony: Lord Jesus Christ himself stated that he has come from Father in Heaven. His ‘I am’ statements are attestation for His claim as Son of God. I am: Bread of life; Light of the World; Gate; Good Shepherd; Resurrection and life; the Way, the Truth and the Life; True Vine (John 6:35; 8:12; 10:7; 10:11; 11:25; 14:6; 15:1) Lord’s testimony – alone is enough. Yet the Lord has other independent witnesses to make His claim. A matter is established by two or three witnesses. (Deuteronomy 19:15)
2) John the Baptist: Prophet John was sent to prepare the way of the Lord. He declared to the Jewish Nation that Jesus is the ‘Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.’ (John 1:29,34)
3) Works: The signs, wonders and miracles (like healing the man born blind, raising dead Lazarus, calming the sea, feeding five thousand plus…etc) of the Lord was another attestation for His divine power and authority. (John 5:36)
4) Voice of Father: More than once Lord Jesus Christ was glorified by a voice from the Father in Heaven. (Matthew 3:17; Luke 3:22) In the mount of Transfiguration the three disciples heard the voice from heaven. (Matthew 17:1-8)
5) Scripture: Lord said to Jewish leaders that the Scripture testifies about Him. (John 5:39,40) All Scripture points towards Lord Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 18:15,18) Many who have read the Bible with open mind and open heart have received Lord Jesus Christ.
Do I believe in Lord Jesus Christ?