“Whoever is slack in his work is a brother to him who destroys.” (Proverbs 18:9) This seems to be a severe condemnation. One who does not do any work of contribution, is partner in crime of destruction. Disciples of Lord Jesus Christ who do not edify, equip, encourage, empower others lack stewardship and join the ranks of slack workers who in fact damage and destroy.
1) Day dreamers: They have some kind of good desires and even vision but do not have commitment to work hard to realize that dream. (Proverbs 21:25-26) All their dreams exist in imagination and never become reality.
2) Just start ups: Suddenly they get emotional excitement, begin some projects but do not complete any of them. There is no follow through or finishing attitude. With great enthusiasm a person hunts but cannot get it cooked for his/her lunch. (Proverbs 12:27)
3) Procrastination: S/He wants a little more slumber and will lose opportunities. (Proverbs 6:9-11) There is no disciplined mind or body. Lack of understanding of priorities and urgency leads to foolish procrastination with disastrous results.
4) Easy work: Plowing during Autumn is difficult. (Proverbs 20:4) Such person will do work as long as it is easy, pleasant, fun and enjoyable. If there are difficulties, hindrances or obstruction, s/he will drop.
5) Excuse: With rich imagination they could invent new excuses. Interestingly, they visualize lions prowling street waiting to kill them. (Proverbs 22:13) Hence, they will not venture out.
6) Self-wise: Slack person is wise according to his own parameters. Hence, thinks he needs neither advise nor counsel from anyone else. (Proverbs 26:16)
7) Irrelevance: Slack person does not bother to use profitably or securely protect what they have. Such person’s field is full of thorns, overgrown weeds, broken boundaries. (Proverbs 24:30,31) Slack people life is overwhelmed with piled works, unfinished projects, broken dreams and perpetually anxiety.
Am I slack or diligent in all aspects of my life?