Perhaps, Paul prophetically wrote about this Digital Generation. “Always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.” (II Timothy 3:7) Unlike any other previous generation, this generation seems to be actively engaged with people or pictures or games or videos or audios always through their smartphones. They are frequent travellers on the Information Highway of the Internet.
1) Always scrolling: Fingers perpetually scroll the screen, almost all waking hours. They are also gripped by a strange Digital Disease: Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO). The only treatment for this disease is complete abstinence or absence of Internet connections.
2) Always watching: Many feels watching is easier and comfortable. Perhaps, watching need not clog the mind and in fact could disappear without trace like the dreams of Nebuchadnezzar. (Daniel 2:1-3) There is a torrent of video content that is uploaded every minute.
3) Always listening: In case, if they have other work to do, they plug on head/earphones and continuously listen to music or other content.
4) Always forwarding: Strangely, even when they do not understand or could not estimate the value of content; they cheerfully and dutifully forward it to many. There is no new sense, only nuisance and nonsense.
5) Always confused: By learning so much through audio, text, images, videos, interactions…they are totally confused. In the maze of so-called information, there seems to be nothing sane or meaningful.
Source of Wisdom: True learning begins with the Fear of God, which is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10) Google or WhatsApp or search engines are not the beginning or source of knowledge. The Word of God is the Truth that is the storehouse of all wisdom. (John 17:17; Psalms 119:160) Neither the artificial intelligence nor the digital assistants could lead us to the truth. Only the Holy Spirit could lead us into the Truth. (John 16:13)
This WhatsApp University can never answer the questions of inner-being, the soul. Sadly, as Paul writes, it gives the false impression of ‘always learning’ but in essence learning nothing of worth.
Have I found wisdom In Lord Jesus Christ?