One of the qualifications for Christian leadership according to Paul is ability to teach. (II Timothy 2:24) However, James reminds that teachers would be judged with greater strictness. “Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.” (James 3:1) Lord Jesus warned the people to follow what Pharisees say or teach, but not follow their practice or behavior or model. (Matthew 23:2) Luke writes about what Lord Jesus did or demonstrated and then taught: “I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach.” (Acts 1:1) Parents are expected to teach God’s Word to their children. Hence all Christians are expected to demonstrate and teach His word.
1)Teach – diligently: Diligence means excellent teaching with clarity, relevance and practicality.
2) Teach – Truth: God has called his disciples to preach, proclaim, and propagate the Truth. Paul writes: Do not teach what people want to hear but what they ought to hear. (II Timothy 4:3)
3) Teach – passionately: There is a proverb: “There is no uninteresting subject, only uninteresting teachers.” Teachers of the Word should be excited to teach enthusiastically
4) Teach – lovingly: God’s Word is sharp and can hurt people. However, bible teachers should teach in love. (Ephesians 4:15)
5) Teach humbly: Though Sovereign God has given us the mandate to proclaim the Truth, have clear conviction about the truth, yet teachers ought to be humble. (I Timothy 3:6)
6) Teach wisely: Wisdom from God’s word must be presented to rebuke, reproof and correct. (II Timothy 3:14-15)
7) Teaching of life: Teach and live accordingly. (Romans 2:21-23, I Timothy 4:12) “For Ezra had set his heart to study the Law of the Lord, and to do it and to teach his statutes and rules in Israel.” (Ezra 7:10) Ezra had the right order: Study, Apply and then teach.
Today, there is famine for the Word, as there are fewer teachers. (Amos 8:12) Also, people of God do not tolerate sound teaching as Paul predicted. (II Timothy 4:3)
Am I a good teacher and a good learner?